Thanks to the olives and herbs this salad makes a flavorful side dish. I particularly love it with grilled chicken. And great for leftovers also.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (I think Basmati rice fits this die dish best)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 2/3 cup sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- Place the brown rice in a pot. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once the water dries up put the lid on and lower the heat at the lowest. Keep it for about 15 minutes on low heat.
- Heat the oil and start sauteing the onions. Once the onions start to soften, add the garlic, then add the olives, sun dried tomatoes, parsley and basil. Saute for few minutes and then add the brown rice.
- Stir every thing well until all the ingredients are mixed well.
- For the dressing, mix the mustard seeds, white wine vinegar and chopped garlic.
- Add the dressing once the brown rice mix is done and top it with toasted almonds
- Serve with grilled chicken or flank steak.