Ketogenic? Another hideous diet? Certainly not if you ask me!
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat diet. YES you read it right… HIGH FAT 😃, moderate-protein, low- carb style of eating that has powerful health benefits. Originally developed in the early 1920s to treat epileptic seizures, the diet fell out of favor in the medical establishment once anti-seizure medications became available.
The ketogenic diet is too often viewed as simply a sugar-elimination diet. But really it is a low carb diet, an important distinction.
This perspective is interesting to me as I always used to think that fats was the main enemy due to the high calories in them. The 30 day ketogenic cleanse book has some amazing recipes. I am enjoying many of them. Today’s recipe is so easy and loaded with flavors. I skipped the mushrooms from the original recipe, as I thought the flavors are strong enough to make this dish remarkable tasty.
Enjoy some fat and skim some carbs 😃
This recipe serves 8 “ketogenics”
- 8 chicken thighs or a mix of drum and thighs
- 2 teaspoon fine himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chicken fat from a chicken stock leftovers you can certainly use butter or ghee fat instead
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 cup pitted black olives, drained
- 1 cup fresh basil
- Add garlic and salt to the chicken thighs and saute the chicken on high heat first for about 5 minutes until the chicken is golden brown
- Chop the onions, garlic and tomatoes. Add them to the chicken and let sauté for another 7 to 8 minutes on a lower heat. Add some water if you felt the sauce is drying too fast.
- Cook for another 15 minutes on low heat
- Add the basil and olives once the chicken is cooked through based on FDA recommended cooking temperatures, cook for another five minutes to have all the flavors mixed well.
- Serve with some extra veggies and enjoy!
To learn more about the Ketogenic diet I strongly suggest the book The 30 Day Ketogenic Cleanse. It has amazing recipes and will go through all the steps and things you need. And when you buy it please feel free to use my affiliate link on Amazon –> CLICK HERE. 😃